Monday, September 15, 2008

Ambled...

Well this is a new one for me. My childrens' school is pushing a new concept this year. They are introducing what they call "robust vocabulary." The idea is to introduce these big words to these young children. Now do not get me wrong, I love this idea. They are trying to increase the student's level of understanding. My first grader's words consist of "capacity, underestimate, and ambled." I have to admit I had no idea what ambled meant. Apparently, it means to "walk at a slow pace." Hmm....I do not know when or if he will ever use that word, but he sure will know what it means. My daughter's words are "heed, opinionated, blockades, inappropriate, ect.." Each week the school adds new words. I think they are starting to sink in. The other day Abigail says "Mom, why do you think SpongeBob is inappropriate for us to watch?" I thought to myself.."wow, she used it correctly and everything."

2 comments:

RichFam said...

Ha ha. Very funny. I love the concept! That's great!

"Inappropriate" has been (unfortunately) one of Rebekah's favorite words as of late. She uses it correctly and all... but uses it against her little brother.

She likes to reprove him for various things he does by scolding him, saying, "Benjamin! That is inappropriate behavior! Act like a gentleman!"

Now, if we can only get her to treat her brother appropriately, instead of acting like his mother, we will be doing good! Ha ha ha :o)

The growing Adkinson family said...

Wow they will have such a wide vocabulary. Too cute about the spongebob. They sound so grown up when they talk like that.